The Inpex Abadi Masela LNG plant in Indonesia will be built on Yamdena Island in Kabupaten Kepulauan Tanimbar of the Province of Maluku. Yamdena island is the biggest island among the Tanimbar Islands.
The head of SKK Migas of Indonesia, Bapak Dwi Sutjipto, handed the documents related to the plant location plan to the governor of Maluku, Bapak Murad Ismail on November 4, 2019, in Ambon. The event was attended by Mr. Akihiro Watanabe from Inpex and Mr. Lucki Wattimury.
(Note: SKK Migas is an Indonesian government institution that is tasked to manage all upstream oil and gas activities of companies who operate in Indonesia under a Cooperation Contract.)
This is a significant positive step to accelerate the construction of the Abadi Masela LNG plant. The LNG plant is designed to produce 9.5 million tons of LNG annually.
In this event, the governor of Maluku stated that the local government of Maluku welcomes the project and will give their full support in the land acquisition and construction of the LNG plant.
The total investment of the huge Abadi Masela project estimated at around US$20 billion will be the biggest project in Indonesia. During the development phase, the project will employ around 30,000 workers.
The natural gas to feed the LNG plant will come from the giant offshore Abadi gas field which was discovered by Inpex in 2000. The Abadi field has the capacity to produce more than 1 billion SCF of gas per day and 20,000 barrels of condensate per day for 24 years.
Inpex Indonesia has a 65 percent share of the Abadi Masela project and Shell has the remaining 35 percent. Inpex will operate the field until 2055.
This article was written by Jamin Djuang, a published author of “The Story of Oil and Gas: How Oil and Gas Are Explored, Drilled and Produced” for readers who have not seen an oil field.
This information is adapted from the Facebook post of Mr. Rinto Pudyantoro.