The upstream oil and gas operators in Indonesia contributed 6.67 billion USD of revenue for the government of Indonesia in the first half of 2021. This amount is 91.7% of the full-year Indonesian government revenue target from E&P activities in 2021.
Mr. Dwi Soetjipto, the head of SKK Migas, is thankful that the 2021 first-half revenue contribution was better than expected in a meet-the-press event on 16 July 2021.
Here are the results from the oil and gas exploration and production activities in Indonesia in the first half of 2021 according to SKK Migas.
Oil Lifting Costs
The oil industry managed to lower the oil and gas production cost in 2021. The average production cost in the first half of this year is USD 12.17 per BOE (barrel of oil equivalent) whereas it was USD 13.71 per BOE in the same period last year.
The average oil production is 667,000 BOPD. This is below the 705,000 BOPD target set by the government.
The average gas production is 5430 MMSCFD. This is below the 5638 MMSCFD targets of the government.
To make up for the shortfall of oil and gas production, SKK Migas is asking the oil operators to speed up their work programs.
The average combined oil and gas production in the first half of 2021 is 1.64 million BOEPD.
To stimulate oil and gas exploration and production in Indonesia, SKK Migas is pushing for government approval on several incentives.
The three incentives that are currently being proposed are:
- Providing a certain type of tax holiday to all oil and gas operators
- Reducing the processing fees charged by the Badak LNG plant to US$0.22 per MMBTU.
- Lowering tax paid by companies who provide certain types of goods and services to oil companies.
Completed Oil and Gas Projects in Indonesia
Seven upstream oil and gas projects out of the 12 targeted for 2021 have been completed in the first half of this year, according to SKK Migas.
These 1.46 billion USD projects contributed 9850 BOPD of new oil and 475 MMSCFD of gas.
Here are the 7 completed projects:
1. First phase production from Belato-2 oil field by Seleraya Merangin Dua in South Sumatera
2. EOR in Jirak Field by Pertamina EP in South Sumatera
3. Development of KLD gas field by Pertamina Hulu Energi ONWJ
4. Gas Supply to the Balikpapan refinery from Bontang by Pertamina Hulu Mahakam
5. West Pangkah field development by Saka Indonesia Pangkah Ltd
6. Merakes gas field development in East Sepinggan block by ENI
7. Gas supply from South Jambi B block to PLN Jambi by Jindi South Jambi B.
The Jambaran Tiung Biru Project
SKK Migas is working closely with Pertamina EP Cepu on the development of the significant Jambaran Tiung Biru project. This gas field development project in East Java is categorized as a national strategic project.
The Jambaran Tiung Biru project is more than 90% complete and gas production is expected to come on stream in the fourth quarter of 2021.
Plans of Field Development
SKK Migas approved 14 plans of field development (POD) that will potentially increase the oil and gas reserves by 131.2 million barrels of oil equivalent (BOE).
Exploration Drilling and Discoveries
Oil operators completed seven exploration wells with the following results:
- Gas discovery in two wells: Maha-02 and Fanny-02
- Oil discovery in two wells: Hidayah-01 and MSDE-01A
- Three dry wells: Barakuda-1x, NSD-1 ExpTail and Plajawan Dalam.
The P50 reserves from Well Hidayah-01 are 87 MMBOE. The P50 combined reserves from wells Maha-02, Fanny-02, and MSDE-01A are 154 MMBOE.
P50 reserves are oil and gas reserves that have a 50% or greater probability of being recovered from a petroleum asset.
Development Drilling, Workovers, and Seismic Surveys
- Number of development wells drilled – 186
- Number of workovers – 309
- Number of well services – 11307
- 2D seismic survey completed – 1917 Km
- 3D seismic survey completed – 673 Km2
This article is adapted by Jamin Djuang based on the information provided by SKK Migas. He is the Chief Learning Officer of LDI Training.