PT Pertamina (Persero) is the national oil company of Indonesia, and also the largest company in Indonesia. It is the parent holding company of all the many Pertamina subsidiary companies.
Pertamina is big. As an integrated oil company, Pertamina involves in oil and gas exploration and production, refining and petrochemicals, gas distribution through pipelines, distribution of fuels, and lube oil to every corner of the land. It is also a producer of renewable energy such as geothermal energy.
On the upstream side, Pertamina owns many oil fields and work areas and has vast and expansive oil exploration and production operations in Indonesia. It also has oil and gas interests in several other countries.
Pertamina’s upstream oil and gas interests are under the wings of PT Pertamina Hulu Energi (PHE). It is the sub-holding company of PT Pertamina (Persero) in charge of its entire upstream oil and gas assets and operations in Indonesia and overseas.
The current CEO of PT Pertamina Hulu Energi is Budiman Parhusip.
Pertamina has come a long way. Its assets include oil and gas assets that Pertamina itself develops, assets it acquired from BPM (Bataafse Petroleum Maatschappij), assets it acquired from international companies upon the expiry of their production sharing contracts, and its oil and gas assets overseas.
Pertamina grew significantly in 2021 as it acquired the huge and prolific Rokan block from Chevron in Sumatera.
As Pertamina’s oil fields are located in many islands of Indonesia covering a vast area of more than 113,000 Km2, its assets and operations are divided into five regions. Each region is further divided into zones.
Here are the five regions including the zones under each region and their leadership teams.
REGION 1- Sumatera
Pertamina’s assets in Sumatera fall under Region 1 and they are managed under PT Pertamina Hulu Rokan (PHR).
Consisting of four zones, Pertamina Hulu Rokan manages the following assets:
- In Zone 1 – North Sumatera Offshore (NSO), North Sumatera Basin (NSB), Rantau, Pangkalan Susu, West Glagah Kambuna, Siak, Kampar, Lirik, Jambi, Jambi Merang, Jabung
- In Zone 2 – North Rokan (Rokan Utara)
- In Zone 3 – South Rokan (Rokan Selatan)
- In Zone 4 – Ogan Komering, Raja Tempirai, Ramba, Corridor, Prabumulih, Limau, Pendopo, Adera
Here is the current leadership team stewarding Pertamina’s exploration and production activities in Region 1.
- Novy Hendri – VP Exploration
- Tri Sasongko – VP Development and Drilling
- Junizar Harman – VP Operation and Production
- Saptiadi Nugroho – VP Business Support
- Ani Surakhman – General Manager of Zone 1
- Ahmad Miftah – General Manager of Zone 4
REGION 2 – Java and Natuna
Region 2 covers Pertamina upstream activities in West Java and the Natuna Sea, and they are managed under PT Pertamina Eksplorasi dan Produksi (PEP).
Here are the zones in Region 2 and the assets under each zone.
- Zone 5 – Offshore North West Java (PHE ONWJ), Abar, Anggursi
- Zone 6 – Offshore South East Sumatera (PHE OSES)
- Zone 7 – Tambun, Subang, Jatibarang, East Natuna, The Natuna Sea Block A
Here is the new leadership team of Region 2.
- Muharram Jaya – VP Exploration
- Merry Luciawaty – VP Development and Drilling
- Wisnu Hindadari – VP Operation and Productions
- Bongbongan Tampubolon – VP Business Support
- Achmad Agus Miftakhurrohman – General Manager of Zone 5
- Cosmas Supriatna – General Manager of Zone 6
- Astri Pujianto – General Manager of Zone 7
REGION 3 – Kalimantan
Region 3 assets and operations are located in Kalimantan, and PT Pertamina Hulu Indonesia (PHI) is the operating holding company of Pertamina in Region 3.
Here are the zones in Region 3 and the assets in each zone:
- Zone 8 – Pertamina Hulu Mahakam (PHM), Pertamina West Ganal (PHWG), East Sepinggan
- Zone 9 – Pertamina Hulu Sanga Sanga (PHSS), Sangata, Maratua, Tanjung
- Zone 10 – Pertamina Hulu Kalimantan Timur (PHKT), Bunyu, Tarakan, Nunukan, East Ambalat, Simenggaris, Ambalat, Bukat
Here is the leadership team supervising Pertamina’s exploration and production activities in Region 3.
- Bayu Giriansyah – VP Exploration
- Arief Prasetyo Handoyo – VP Development and Drilling
- Rachmad Wibowo – VP Production
- Satya Nugraha – VP Business Support
- Agus Amperianto – General Manager of Zone 8
- Andri Haribowo – General manager of Zone 9
- Raam Krisna – General Manager of Zone 10
REGION 4 – East Java and Eastern Part of Indonesia
Pertamina’s oil and assets located in the eastern part of Indonesia and East Java are under Region 4.
PT Pertamina Eksplorasi dan Produksi Cepu (PEPC) is the operation holding company in charge of Region 4.
Here are the zones in Region 4 and their assets:
- Zone 11 – Alas Dara Kemuning (PEPC ADK), Cepu, West Madura Offshore (PHE WMO), Randugunting, Sukowati, Poleng, Tuban East Java
- Zone 12 – Jambaran Tiung Biru (JTB), Banyu Urip
- Zone 13 – Donggi Matindok, Senoro Tolidi, Makassar Strait
- Zone 14 – Papua, Salawati, Kepala Burung, Babar Selaru, Semai
Here is the current leadership team of Region 4.
- Ali Sundja – VP Development and Drilling
- Muhamad Arifin – VP Operation and Production
- Fransiono Lazarus – VP Business Support
- Dedy Syam – General Manager of Zone 11
- Iman Nur Akbar – General Manager of Zone 13
- Djudjuwanto General Manager of Zona 14
REGION 5 – International
Pertamina also has oil and gas interests in several countries outside Indonesia. Its international E&P operations and assets fall under Region 5 and they are under the management of PT Pertamina International Eksplorasi dan Produksi (PIEP).
Here are the zones of Region 5 and their locations:
- Zone 15 – Algeria
- Zone 16 – Iraq
- Zone 17 – Malaysia
Here is the current leadership team supervising Pertamina’s international exploration and production activities.
- Fuji Koesumadewi – VP Exploration
- Yosi Hiroshiadi – VP Development and Drilling
- Charles P. Sialagan – VP Operation and Production
- Ria Noveria – VP Business Support
- Edwil Suzandi – Country Manager in Algeria
The total daily oil and gas production of Pertamina in 2021 is 897,000 BOEPD according to Budiman Parhusip, CEO of PT Pertamina Hulu Energi.
Here is the breakdown of the oil and gas production in 2021.
The total daily oil production is 445,000 BOPD. This comprises 349,000 BOPD from Indonesia and 96,000 BOPD from operations outside of Indonesia.
Daily total gas production is 2615 MMSCFD. This comprises 2290 MMSCFD from Indonesia and 325 MMSCFD from operations outside of Indonesia.
Pertamina drilled 12 exploration and 350 development wells in 2021.
This article is adapted by Jamin Djuang – Chief Learning Officer of LDI Training – from information published by Pertamina and various other sources.