In 2017, API published the new 8th Edition of API RP 14C and created the new 1st Edition of API 17V for subsea applications.
Here are the major modifications of API RP 14C and the new guidelines provided in API RP 17V:
1. The API RP 14C, new 8th Edition “Analysis, Design, Installation, and Testing of Safety Systems for Offshore Production Facilities” was developed in coordination with the new First Edition of API RP 17V “Recommended Practice for Analysis, Design, Installation, and Testing of Safety Systems for Subsea Applications”.
2. Changes in safety system technology.
3. Additional guidance for facility safety systems as they have become larger, more complex and moved into deeper water.
4. Added requirements include an extensive emphasis on the performing of hazards analysis due to increased flow rates, pressures, temperatures, and water depth.
5. Better alignment with API Standard 521, “Pressure-relieving and Depressuring Systems”.
6. Additional requirements for pumps and compressors greater than 1000 HP and reference to API 670.
7. Additional requirements to protect against backflow and settle-out pressures.
8. New address on low-temperature hazards.
9. Enhancements on open deck Fire and Gas detection placement and sensor type.
10. Extensive emphasis on performing hazards analysis to include the introduction of the Prevention vs. Mitigation concepts.
11. Additional annex to cover topside High-Intensity Pressure Protection Systems (HIPPS).
12. Additional annex to cover Safety System By-passing.
13. Additional annex to cover Logic Solvers.
14. Additional annex to cover Remote Operation.
Since the API RP 14C and API RP 17V are critically important for the safety of your offshore and subsea facilities, please share this information with your company’s managers, supervisors, engineers and safety personnel who need to:
1. Develop a better understanding of the modifications of the 2017 edition of API RP 14C and the newly created API RP 17V
2. Appreciate the main steps contemplated in the Safe Design of onshore, offshore and subsea applications
3. Better understand the scope and functioning of the various safety-related equipment installed onshore, offshore and subsea.
If you want to understand the new API RP 14C and API RP17V to keep your production facilities safe, Dr. Maurice Stewart conducts a 5-day course – Production Safety Systems – that incorporates the new API RP 14C and API RP 17V.
This article is written by Dr. Maurice Stewart.
For more information about the course, please contact LDITrain@singnet.com.sg