PT Pertamina, the national oil company of Indonesia, is an integrated oil company and much more.
It is the largest oil and gas producer in Indonesia. Operating 27000 oil and gas wells in 65 oil and gas blocks and producing 566,000 barrels of oil and 2600 MMSCF of gas daily in 2022, Pertamina produces 68% and 34% of the total crude oil and natural gas respectively in Indonesia. Its total daily hydrocarbon production is equivalent to 967,000 BOEPD.
HISTORY OF PERTAMINA
Pertamina began as Perusahaan Minyak Nasional (Permina) on December 10, 1957. The 10 December 1957 date is celebrated as the birthdate of Pertamina.
In 1960 Permina became Perusahaan Negara Permina (PN Permina). It then acquired and managed all the oil and gas assets of BPM (Bataafsche Petroleum Maatschappij) in 1965.
PN Permina became PN Pertamina (Perusahaan Negara Pertambangan Minyak dan Gas Bumi Negara) on 20 August 1968.
Finally, PN Pertamina became PT Pertamina, a limited company as it is today on 18 June 2003.
From the late 1960s through the 1990s Pertamina was in charge of all the production-sharing contracts issued to foreign oil companies.
Pertamina, with the status of PSO (Public Service Obligation) given in 1972, has the mandate to supply and distribute all the fuels needed in Indonesia.
Currently, Pertamina conducts its operations under six sub-holding companies:
• PT Pertamina Hulu Energi – Upstream oil and gas operation
• PT Perusahaan Gas Negara – Gas supply and distribution
• PT Kilang Pertamina International – Oil refining and petrochemicals
• PT Pertamina Power Indonesia – Power generation and Renewable energy
• PT Patra Niaga – Commercial and Trading
• PT Pertamina International Shipping – Oil and gas shipping and marine logistics
PRESIDENTS OF PERTAMINA
Ibnu Sutowo is the first and the most notable president of Pertamina. During his tenure from 1968-1976, he oversaw all the PSC contracts signed by many international oil companies that created the oil boom in Indonesia from 1970-2000. He was given full authority by the then-president of Indonesia, Soeharto, to develop the oil and gas resources of Indonesia.
Here are the past and the current presidents of Pertamina.
- Ibnu Sutowo (1968-1976).
- Piet Haryono (1976-1981).
- Joedo Soembono (1981-1984).
- R. Ramli (1984-1988).
- Faisal Abda’oe (1988-1996).
- Soegijanto (1996-1998).
- Martiono Hadianto (1998-2000).
- Baihaki Hakim (2000-2003).
- Ariffi Nawawi (2003-2004).
- Widya Purnama (2004-2006).
- Ari Soemarno (2006-2009).
- Karen Agustiawan (2009-2014).
- Dwi Soetjipto (2014-2017).
- Elia Massa Manik (2017- 2018).
- Nicke Widyawati (2018 – now).
Board of Directors and Executive Team
Here are the newly elected board of directors and the executive team of Pertamina announced during the annual general meeting of shareholders on July 25, 2023.
Board of Directors
- Chairman – Basuki Tjahaja Purnama
- Vice Chairman – Rosan P. Roeslani
- Board member – Heru Pambudi
- Board member – Rida Mulyana
- Independent board member – Alexander Lay
- Independent board member – Ahmad Fikri Assegaf
- Independent board member – Iggi H. Achsien
- President and CEO – Nicke Widyawati
- Chief of Logistics and Infrastructure – Alfian Nasution
- Chief of Finance – Emma Sri Martini
- Chief of Human Resources – M. Erry Sugiharto
- Chief of Business Support – Erry Widiastono
- Chief of Portfolio Strategy and Business Developmenet – Atep Salyadi Dariah Saputra
This post is adapted by Jamin Djuang – Chief Learning Officer of LDI Training